Thursday, January 10, 2008

Getting Started

Before I launch in to the content of the journal... why I chose a blog for my journal - Well, it seems like the perfect tool! A blog, by its nature is a journal...BUT it also allows others to join in the conversation through the comments option... BUT EVEN BETTER - TAGS enable authors to organize , categorize, and search their own postings - so for example, as I go along, if a thought from one book we've read comes to mind, I can post it, tag it with the author's name, and voila! I can search for all the postings about that one text and they will all appear together.... so it helps my learning on different levels - a place to reflect, a place to synthesize, a place to share, and a place to organize, integrate, and re-organize thoughts.... So with that said.... here goes....

I feel a strange excitement at the beginning of this journey....

Often when I'm stepping into new territory, I feel this anxiety, excitement, chaos. I don't know where I'm going, except inside.... but inside what? This first week of Elementary Reading, I have this overwhelming feeling of chaos - there are so many theories and opinions out there - so much conflicting research (reminded me of the ESL studies) no one has the definitive answer - or at least the "What we know right now" answer yet - and surely I don't even know where to start... but once more, with excitement and enthusiasm, I begin a journey to answer a question....

How DO people learn to read and what can teachers do to help?

No comments: