Thursday, January 10, 2008

Reading to Live: Lorraine Wilson


I've started the Lorraine Wilson text by reading the preface by P. David Pearson who co-wrote our opening article on Learning About Literacy - a 30 Year Journey... and I was excited reading his words - eagerly anticipating this read - and at the same time, I felt strangely comforted (after the anxiety I felt over feeling that I don't know anything and that everything feels so chaotic!)

This line in the Preface struck me particularly and I'm sad I can't start reading right now...

"...reading and writing are tools for communication, learning, enjoyment, and personal insight, the means to help us live our lives more productively, more honestly, more graciously, and with greater personal satisfaction....Food may be the fuel for our bodies, but reading - and the ideas, emotions, and insights we encounter in the process - is the fuel for our hearts, souls, and minds.


No comments: