Sunday, January 27, 2008

Week Three Update

I wanted to share this, but couldn't find the right spot to put it in our forums, so, here it is...

I am really enjoying this class, and am learning a lot, but am learning things probably very differently from many of those in the class. I have very little background in K-12, so I am having difficulty processing the readings (because I don't have a place to hook it onto - without the experience), processing your postings, making meaning (for me - usually involves applying it to what I do), and retaining it... I'm doing it - but it is taking a looooong time!!

I am feeling very overwhelmed and challenged - by the reading, reading the postings, trying to reply in ways that I can contribute - always seems out of the flow of things - wondering if I'm disrupting things more than adding to them because my experience seems like from left field...and then trying to do the activities which I can't pull from experience (except my own - but that is another cognitive load, because I have to think about my own experience and understand it -

Anyway - I just didn't want to feel isolated in the challange, which is why I'm sharing it - in a F2F class, I could just chat with folks before or after class, but online is another matter - and as an instructional designer - this part of online learning fascinates me and so I still have open questions for myself in this role...

Makes me think of students and how we have to be conscious of PACE and AMOUNT of work and giving people TIME they need to make the connections - may take longer when experience or background knowledge is old, or needs to be retrieved from a deep place - or concepts are new...

No comments: